Thursday, January 27, 2011

English Muffin Toasting Bread

I love English Muffins! I always make sure that we never run out of them. I can honestly say that I eat them EVERY day. When I found this recipe I knew I had to try it. This I assure you is a great one. The yeasty, coarse-textured bread makes the best toast ever. It is so easy to make. You basically just mix-it-slap-in-the-pan-bake-and-eat-it! And by the way, can I just express how divine your home smells while fresh bread is baking. Do they make a candle in that scent?

English Muffin Toasting Bread
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. instant yeast
1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
cornmeal to sprinkle in the pan

Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and yeast in a large mixing bowl. (I used my kitchen aid for this)


Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120 and 130 F. The liquid should feel very hot (hotter than lukewarm), but not so hot that it would scald you.



Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl (kitchen aid bowl). Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft.

Lightly grease and 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inch loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.

Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.


Cover pan and let dough rise till it's just barely crowned over the rim of pan. This will take about 45 min to and hour.

Preheat your oven to 400 F. Remove cover and bake the bread for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown and the interior temperature is 190 degrees. Remove the bread from oven and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Slice and enjoy toasted, or the way I had it with just a smearing of Brummel & Brown spread.

0 comments:

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Powered by Blogger.
Followers
Photobucket

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Labels
Photobucket
About Me
My Photo
momof2girls
One of the many jobs I have as a stay at home mom is to cook. I love being in the kitchen and creating yummy dishes to feed my family. I started this blog as a way to virtually capture my most valuable recipe creations and finds. I hope you enjoy!
View my complete profile
Won In The Oven
Photobucket

Archive
Photobucket
Photobucket