Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chicken Pillows



I seem to have a bit of an obsession lately. I have a strong desire to wrap my food up in some kind of manner. Whether it be the Stuffed Pizza Rolls, the Cheeseburger Flatbread Melts, the Southwestern Egg Rolls, or the Chicken Taquitos (you get the picture).  Watch out, I'm not done yet! These Chicken Pillows are no exception. What can I say? I love them, they are awesome, and I can't wait to make them again soon because I am already craving the delicious filling that comes oozing out when you take a bite of the flaky crescent roll. This is my take on a similar recipe I found over at The Girl Who Ate Everything. I changed it up a bit to make them somewhat more healthy, hey I gotta try. She dipped hers in melted butter and rolled them in dry breadcrumbs before baking. I skipped this step because crescent dough is already quite buttery and rich. She also serves hers with a chicken type gravy. I also skipped this step because I didn't like the thought of a soggy pillow. I will include her recipe for the gravy in case you are interested in that part. I think a nice side salad or side of fruit would be the perfect side dish with these to make them a light Spring or Summer meal. I hope you enjoy!

Chicken Pillows
adapted slightly from The Girl Who Ate Everything

8 oz cream cheese softened, I used 1/3 less fat
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp dried chives
1 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh onion
5 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
3 chicken breasts cooked, diced really small
2 (8oz) cans Pillsbury Crescent Dough

GRAVY if desired:

1 (14.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 (0.87) package chicken gravy mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and sour cream until well combined. You can do this by hand if your cream cheese is soft enough. Stir in salt, pepper, onion, chives, spinach, and diced chicken.

Using Pillsbury crescent rolls, take 2 triangular rolls and push together at perforated seam to make into a square. Make sure you seal the perforations well so your filling doesn't come out. Put about 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture in the center of each square. Fold the dough corners to the center over the chicken mixture forming a pillow.

Place chicken pillow on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.


Make gravy by mixing one package of chicken gravy mix, one can of cream of chicken soup and 3/4 can of water in a small pot. Mix together and heat until warm. Serve chicken pillows with gravy poured over top.




This post is linked to a Linky Party over at MOMS CRAZY COOKING!



1 comments:

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

Hi! I just started a blog hop called Savory Sunday and I would love for you to come and join and share one of your fabulous recipes!!

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Powered by Blogger.
Followers
Photobucket

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Labels
Photobucket
About Me
My Photo
momof2girls
One of the many jobs I have as a stay at home mom is to cook. I love being in the kitchen and creating yummy dishes to feed my family. I started this blog as a way to virtually capture my most valuable recipe creations and finds. I hope you enjoy!
View my complete profile
Won In The Oven
Photobucket

Archive
Photobucket
Photobucket