Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cheeseburger Flatbread Melts


I like coming up with different ways to make ordinary food. Take your typical cheeseburger for instance. Everyone is used to eating a grilled patty with cheese between a bun. They are always a favorite of just about everyone, but nothing special or unique. This recipe is a twist on the old favorite. The meat has all the flavor of a cheeseburger because it is simmered with ketchup, mustard, and onion. It is served on delicious buttery flatbread rather than a bun and topped with shredded cheese. I think that if your family loves burgers they will enjoy with unique way of eating them. They are easy to throw together so you can have dinner on the table quick. I added some black beans to stretch the meat and add some fiber. What's not to love? I found this recipe over at Kevin & Amanda. It is a great blog if you have a chance to check it out. She gave some other ideas for the use of flatbread such as:

Hamburger + taco seasoning + cheddar = Taco Flatbread Melt.
Hamburger + spaghetti sauce + mozzarella = Lasagna Flatbread Melt.
Flatbread + fresh rosemary + sea salt = *faint*

Cheeseburger Flatbread Melts
slightly adapted from kevinandamanda.com

1/2 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained (I used ground turkey)
1/4 cup water
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
11 oz thin crust pizza dough
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown and drain ground beef. Add water, vinegar, onion soup mix, ketchup, mustard, black beans, and garlic. Stir to combine and simmer over low heat. This smells amazing by the way.


Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp canola oil over medium heat in a large, heavy bottomed skillet. Divide the pizza dough into six equal portions and roll into a round, tortilla-like shape. This doesn't have to be perfect. I kind of like the rustic look of uneven edges.


 Fry the dough for one minute on each side or until golden brown and bubbly.



Remove to a paper towel to drain. Top with beef mixture and shredded cheese.
Makes 6 flatbread melts.


0 comments:

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Powered by Blogger.
Followers
Photobucket

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Labels
Photobucket
About Me
My Photo
momof2girls
One of the many jobs I have as a stay at home mom is to cook. I love being in the kitchen and creating yummy dishes to feed my family. I started this blog as a way to virtually capture my most valuable recipe creations and finds. I hope you enjoy!
View my complete profile
Won In The Oven
Photobucket

Archive
Photobucket
Photobucket