Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie Pancakes


Oh pancakes, how I love you! I am very picky about mine though. I've ordered them before at certain restaurants and have been disappointed with them. I don't like leaving feeling like I have a brick in my stomach. My pancakes have to be light, fluffy, healthy, and delicious. You think this is a lot to ask but I'll tell you, I have achieved it with these pancakes. I have taken different recipes and pieced this one together to make the most perfect pancake you could ask for. My kids ask for these every morning and I don't have to feel bad about serving them these as often as they want. I do try to move them in the direction of cereal if we are rushed but I don't see that delight in their eye when they get that bowl like I do when a nice warm stack of pancakes with syrup oozing over the sides is put before them. I try to make up a double batch when I have time and freeze them in little Ziploc bags. I just have to pop them on a plate and microwave and they taste like they were freshly made.



Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

1 1/2 cups white wheat flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger (or pumpkin pie spice)
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk*
1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
cooking spray for pan

*As a substitute for buttermilk you can place 1Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar in a 1 c. measuring cup and them fill the remainder with milk. This recipe call for 1 1/2 cups so you would do the same thing with 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup milk.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a mixing bowl and whisk together. In a separate bowl combine the buttermilk, pumpkin, vanilla, oil, egg, and egg white. Mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined.


Heat a nonstick griddle to medium heat. Coat pan with spray or a little butter. Pour on the pancake batter. Wait until bubble appear and then flip.



Pour on the syrup and enjoy!


This post is linked to Moms Crazy Cooking
 
Come join #DairyBreakfastClub recipe party at TidyMom along with The California Milk Advisory Board and RealCaliforniaMilk.com

0 comments:

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Powered by Blogger.
Followers
Photobucket

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Labels
Photobucket
About Me
My Photo
momof2girls
One of the many jobs I have as a stay at home mom is to cook. I love being in the kitchen and creating yummy dishes to feed my family. I started this blog as a way to virtually capture my most valuable recipe creations and finds. I hope you enjoy!
View my complete profile
Won In The Oven
Photobucket

Archive
Photobucket
Photobucket