Monday, April 4, 2011

Lemon Pancakes


I love a good pancake. Like I've mentioned in previous posts about pancakes, I prefer my to be light and airy as opposed to tough and brick-like. My absolute favorite pancake would have to be my Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie Pancakes, that probably won't change but it won't stop me from testing out other recipes. I found this one over at Your Homebased Mom and though it would be a fun and tasty Springtime breakfast, well actually dinner in our case yesterday. What caught my eye was the fact that it had cottage cheese in it. I thought that sounded interesting. I also liked the idea of fresh lemon zest in the batter. I'm really into zesting fruits lately and love the burst of citrus when used in baking or cooking. I was also excited to see that she used whole wheat flour which I am always a big fan of. These were really yummy. My kids liked them, I liked them, and I think my husband liked them. He was a little put off by the fact that there was cottage cheese in them but he did eat them all. The recipe calls for a blueberry compote to serve over top. I though it sounded heavenly but I didn't have any blueberries at the time. I will suggest that you try it with this, I think it would be a wonderful compliment to the lemon zest flavor. I hope you enjoy!

Lemon Pancakes
recipe source Your Homebased Mom

1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat white)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
zest of large lemon
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and lemon zest with your fingers. This will bring out the lemon flavor. Add the sugar to the dry ingredients. Whisk again.


Mix the milk, cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla and fresh lemon juice in another bowl. Whisk until smooth. The cottage cheese will look somewhat lumpy and that is alright. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy.

Heat a large a large non-stick skillet or griddle. Spray with cooking spray. Add about 1/4 cup batter to pan. Cook for a couple minutes. You want to see bubbles all lover the pancake.


Flip and cook the other side a few minutes more. Makes 6-8 depending on size. Serve with blueberry compote.

Blueberry Compote

2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water

Combine 1 1/2 cups of the berries, sugar, and water in small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until berries burst, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add remaining cup of berries. Cook until compote coats spoon, stirring often. Can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Serve warm.

0 comments:

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Powered by Blogger.
Followers
Photobucket

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Labels
Photobucket
About Me
My Photo
momof2girls
One of the many jobs I have as a stay at home mom is to cook. I love being in the kitchen and creating yummy dishes to feed my family. I started this blog as a way to virtually capture my most valuable recipe creations and finds. I hope you enjoy!
View my complete profile
Won In The Oven
Photobucket

Archive
Photobucket
Photobucket